Aging Gracefully



We have all heard the term “Aging gracefully,” but what exactly does it mean?  After doing a little research I found out that it means different things to different people. Different ages and genders also generate different perspectives. For example, I asked my 16-year-old daughter what she thinks “aging gracefully” means and she said, “I don’t know, maybe growing old slowly?” My 21-year-old son responded, “When you age well or don’t look your age.”  Quick answers and not much thought, but when you are reaching your 50’s it’s a term that should prompt deeper thought. At least it did for me. My first thought is that I want to be able to age gracefully (attractively and respectfully), after all, I am a mature, faith filled, ministry-working mother of three adult children (one almost adult). After pondering on my children's answers, I then asked my husband, who has his own blog called Lighthouse Devotions, “What do you think aging gracefully means?”


He responded by saying “It means enjoying your age and fashioning it well. It means that aging is not a curse. I believe you should embrace your maturity.” After carefully considering those words, I couldn't help but smile. Why? Because it is only now after 50 that I feel I am capable of truly enjoying life! My children are older, I am comfortable and stable after 25 years of marriage, I have gone back to college, and I will soon be achieving my lifelong goal of earning my BA. Plus, the fact that many of life's cobwebs have cleared is definitely a reason to celebrate!  Yes, I feel I fashion my aging well and I embrace my maturity!  With that being said, I want to look good, wear simple makeup that will enhance my maturity and at the same time help me keep my wrinkles to a minimum (if that is possible) since I have been smiling a whole lot lately!
 "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." -Proverbs 31:25

Other interesting quotes about Aging gracefully.


Comments

  1. Congratulations sweetheart! Welcome to the Blogger's world! I look forward to reading more of your inspirations. I am glad to be aging gracefully with you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for being my biggest encourager! I love you.

      Delete
  2. Loved it !! God bless you Mari.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts